Holodetz can be served as a kind of snack or the second course. The cooking time is 12 hours approximately, so this dish is not for every day cooking, but can be prepared on a family gathering, as there is no sense of preparing a little quantity.
For cooking these recipes you will need a big boiler or cauldron and two or three trays with high boards. Also you will need some bowls, a knife and a preparation board.
- 2 pork legs with hoofs, or pig’s ears
- 1 kilo of young beef meet on the bone (the bones and meet should be in half on half)
- 1 kilo of pork (also with bones)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- Pepper peas
- Greens for ornament
- Bay leaf
- Clean pork legs carefully with knife, until they become white, scald them. Peel the carrot and onion. Pepper peas and bay leaf put in gause.
- Put all meet and legs, vegetables and spices in the water and boil on low fire for 4 or 5 hours. The meet should be removed easily from the bones. After that remove the bay leaf and pepper.
- You can leave it for the night; just make sure the fire is very low. If you do not want to wait – pass to the next stage – separate bones from meet, the little pieces of meet leave as they are, the bigger ones cut by knife.
- Allot the meet in an even lay on the trays and flood it by the meet water. Put in the fridge and wait until it becomes jelly. If you’ll get a lay of fat on the top – you can remove it. Ornate with greens and carrot, serve with mustard and horseradish.