Eating plain rice always is boring. This Spiced rice recipe gives you a spicy flavor with minimum ingredients (all available at home). It can be prepared with vegetables of your choice and relished with raita of your choice. It can be prepared on special occasions or anytime you desire.
Preparation time: 30 min
- 500 gms basmati rice
- 2 large onions chopped
- 6 green chilies chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 potato
- 100 gms cauliflower (phool gobi) florets
- 6 cardamom seeds
- 2 pieces cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 75 gms grated coconut
- 75 gms green peas
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- ½ cup chopped and fried cashew nuts
- ½ cup green coriander leaves chopped
- Soak rice in water for half an hour and drain.
- Chop all the vegetables.
- Heat oil and sauté cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and curry leaves. Fry chopped onions till golden. Add green chilies, garlic, turmeric, red chilly powder, coriander powder and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and fry for 2 minutes. Add green peas, cauliflower, potato and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour ½ glass of water and bring the vegetables to a semi-cooked condition
- Add rice, salt and 7 cups of hot water and cook on a low heat.
- When water evaporates, garnish with fried cashew nuts and chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with raita of your choice along with dal or vegetable curry.