A very easy Chinese stir fry dish that you can do very simply in a wok or heavy-bottomed saucepan at home. The beef in this goes a really long way. Try rump steak as it fries really well, or you could use lean sandwich steak. The easiest way to prepare a beef stir-fry, especially an Asian style one, then put out all of the spices into little bowls beforehand.
This means that it is much easier and everything can just be thrown together when you need it. Also mince the garlic and the ginger beforehand – finely chop the onions too. With the lemongrass, peel off the nasty woody parts and chop into tiny pieces.
For the rice noodles, place them into a large bowl with some salt and some warm water. Leave it for 15 minutes and no more.
- 225g beef (use steak)
- 110g rice noodles
- Handful of spring onions
- One medium leek
- One medium carrot
- One thumb-sized piece of ginger
- One stem of lemongrass
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp. dry sherry
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. corn-flour
- Dash of flavourless oil
- Have your garlic minced, the ginger minced, the lemongrass cut into tiny pieces. Have the onion chopped into small pieces. With the leek, cut down the length so you’ve chopped it in half. Cut again so the leek is quartered. Chop into rough pieces so you have matchstick pieces. Do the same with the carrot.
- Next up, cut the beef into bite-sized pieces. Put the corn-flour into a bowl with the five spice powder and make sure it’s fully combined. Tip the meat into this bowl and using your fingers, rub the flour and spices into the meat.
- Take the noodles and get rid of any excess water.
- Heat your pan or wok with some of the oil until piping hot. Chuck all the meat in and fry on all sides for a minute or so. Remove from the pan.
- Put the meat into a bowl. Into the bowl add the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass. Using your hands, rub these into the meat for around a minute so the flavour permeates into the meat.
- Throw in all the vegetables, and still using your hands, mix everything together.
- Put all this into the pan, once hot, and cook quickly for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and sherry, and a little water if necessary. Add the noodles in, add the beef back in, stir together for 30 seconds and serve.