Recipes for pot noodles are inspired by the fast take along meal created in Japan whereby dehydrated noodles, meats or seafood, vegetables and seasonings in a Styrofoam cup became a meal simply by adding hot water.
Children especially love pot noodles. They are flavorful and fun to eat and they can be made at home with the advantage of fresh vegetables and control over the seasoning.
This recipe for Chinese pot noodles with chicken is easy to prepare and is Chinese inspired with garlic, soy and sesame.
- 2 full boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips (you can use already cooked chicken torn into strips and added to the pot noodle soup immediately before serving).
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 2 T sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 t chili garlic sauce
- 1 head Napa cabbage, or 2 heads bok choy thinly sliced
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into fine matchstick sized pieces
- 4 shitake mushrooms, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 Liters reduced sodium chicken broth
- 14 oz package of fresh udon noodles or dried Chinese pan-fry (Chow Mein) noodles
- 2 green onions/scallions, thinly sliced
- Generous handful fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- Place chicken in a non-reactive bowl or casserole dish. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar and 1 T sesame oil. Pour over chicken, mix to coat and allow to marinade on the counter top for 20 minutes
- Whisk together garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar and chili garlic sauce together in a small bowl.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat remaining 1 T of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, onion, carrot and mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots begin to become tender.
- Cook noodles according to the instructions on the package they are purchased in. Drain and set aside.
- Pour broth over vegetables and bring to a boil Add the chicken and the garlic-chili sauce mixture. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 more minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add noodles to the soup pot with half of the green onion and half of the cilantro. Taste to check seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
Serve noodles in large soup bowls with remaining cilantro and green onions/scallions garnished on top.
Why not try these Chicken Recipes which are easy to prepare.